Simple Tips to Effective Email Management
Do you often make e-mails your first priority rather than actually getting things done? Have you everfelt like your time is constantly being hijacked by other people’s agendas? Felt busy but not productive?
Email management is a discipline for discerning what is absolutely essential, then eliminating everything that is not, so you can make the highest possible contribution toward the things that really matter and should be done for you to reach your goals faster.
By applying selective criteria for what is important, the disciplined pursuit of email management empowers you to reclaim control of your own choices about where to spend your precious time and energy—instead of giving others the implicit permission to choose for you.
How To Tame Your Emails
1. Keep a tally of how many times you check your email over the course of a day ; over time that number will decrease and save your time and attention for much higher return tasks.
2. If answering an email requires more than 5 sentences, pick up the phone or send a vocal sms ; everyone likes a person who gets to the point quickly. Furthermore, it leads to a lot fewer misunderstandings.
3. Stop organizing your emails in folders ; searching through your inbox is way faster.
4. Disable email notifications ; they cost you a lot in attention. Focus on what you are working on in the moment.
5. Disconnect from email for a specific period of time if in need to concentrate and get something important done ; set up an email auto-responder (with phone number in it for emergencies), and then work on the task for an entire day or two.
Taking a break for a day or two from email gives your mind a much-needed rest, allows you to focus on bigger and better things, and chances are it will provide you with even more energy when you reconnect.
Hope you enjoyed learning about these great tips for better organization and automation of your email boxes and that you will apply them to gain more time to do the things you love to do!
‘Take care of the minutes and the hours will take care of themselves.’
~ Lord Chesterfield
I’m marketing strategist and entrepreneur Janice Dugas and would be delighted to connect further with you to increase your productivity. If you are interested in learning how to manage your passwords efficiently, please take a look at my popular article Password Manager for Getting More Done in Less Time and consider taking action on this great time saving tool.